Toronto

Toronto
Toronto, Canada

Monday, February 29, 2016

Transfers and the Work of Salvation



Hello Everyone!

So Transfers, it was fun stuff! I didn't even cry! (Teared up a bit when hugging sister Liao for the last time for a while but no real tears!) I guess I should start from the beginning. Monday we finished packing and we went to dinner with our members and investigators. It was so sweet to have all of them there and supporting us. I'll miss them but I have the feeling that Kitchener hasn't seen the last of me yet! So when the time comes again I'll be ready! We also went to see Tangier for one last lesson that night and we all just ended up bearing testimonies and he made us all tear up when he started talking about what a blessing knowing this gospel is and how he will keep on sharing and living it for the rest of his life. He's the sweetest most humble person I think I've ever met and I can't wait to see him again someday!

Well we finished packing that night and we started towards the mission office. Long drive but that's okay I enjoyed it. I don't think it felt real until we actually reached the mission office. I felt out of sorts for the rest of the day but it really did turn out okay. I am now working with sister Chen, who is super sweet and is from Taipei, she's about at the same level of English as I am Chinese so we have a hard time communicating sometimes but we're getting there! This does mean however that sister Penrod does a lot of translating between the two of us. Sister Penrod's mom is from Taiwan and her dad's american so she's pretty fluently bilingual. It's a good thing too or else sister Chen and I would be pretty lost! She's follow up training both of us which has been interesting since we're both at different points this means that I actually do most of the training of sister Chen (When I can) and we try and working things out together. She's super cool and reminds me more of sister Erickson than sister Liao which is interesting. We both thought that we would never serve together though since we're the only two Chinese sisters that can drive but we are and she's the designated driver. She's also a California driver so there have been a few points where I've been just a bit frightened. Still she insists that she's the safest driver I'll ever meet and I just kind of smile and keep on praying. (No she really is good just a bit... faster than I am)

Besides that working in a trio has been a learning curve. It's not easy especially with sister Chen and I barely being able to communicate with each other but we're getting better and I look forward to going through this transfer. There's going to be so many miracles! We're going to baptize this transfer too!

Meeting the members here has been fun. The ward I'm working in right now is multi lingual so during Sunday school there's Chinese, English, and Spanish, classes to choose from and to go to and so unless you speak all three languages there's going to be someone that you can't quiet communicate with. Still it's been great getting to know the members and being able to be in a family ward again. (I didn't realize how much I missed primary...)

This area is going to be a little bit different then the last one I think we're going to have to work harder to find people to teach but like sister Penrod likes to say. "The whole mission is run on faith... this area is just running on a little more faith then the average." But I think it's going to be great once we can really get started. We managed to find two new this week anyways. Both of who look really solid. Jane and Brother Tian are going to get baptized I know it! 

Something important I learned this week is kind of an interesting thought. Sitting in church I was pondering on the fact that we are living in a fallen world and therefore subject to Satan's influence. I was thinking about the fact that in a real sense we are living in a battle field. We hear all the time that Satan is working against us but something in the passing phrase of 'God is hastening his work caught my attention. 

If we are living in a battlefield and not just any battle field we are living in the climax. That critical point in history when all outward signs show that the bad guy is gaining strength and good is loosing ground. We are living in the point of the story where everyone is hanging on to their seats and waiting to see the final triumph. That is our day. And yes Evil has it's power right now, but do you ever think about the other side of that battle. If Satan is working against us then do you ever think about the fact that God is working for us? Do you ever think about the fact that God is actively working for us?... isn't that so cool! We are the climax this is the point where God is more active in the lives of his children then ever before. Christ is working with us. The Holy Ghost is urging us on wards and in the face of the opposition God stands at our head. He is not idling He stands. This is His work and His Glory. His work...

Work is hard. But it becomes easier through love. Always through love. 

I know the ending to this story. I know that Christ will reign triumphant. I know that the work that I do now is just a small portion but also infinity important. We must be active as well. If God Himself is working for us then we ourselves can't be idle. That example should make us realize how much more we need to be active. 

God loves us enough to work for us. The least week can do is work for Him as well. 

Have a great week everyone!

-Sister Skinner

1 comment:

  1. Grandpa and Grandma loved your letter so much! We have read it over and over many times, we are sharing parts of it with others! You are a wonderful missionary!

    ReplyDelete