Toronto

Toronto
Toronto, Canada

Monday, February 8, 2016

People and Thoughts

Hey everyone!

So thoughts on this week. Teaching is absolutely my favorite part of missionary work. That moment when an investigator's eyes light up and I know that they are recognizing what the Holy Ghost is teaching them and I got to be a little part in that is just such a magical feeling. Even if my part is just bearing simple testimony or reverting to English while sister Liao translates my explanation. Or even if it's just smiling while Sister Liao preaches with power. Ever appointment is something to look forward and I'm so grateful for the people that we've been able to teach so far.

Tangier is looking really solid for his baptismal date of February 20th and coming to church just yesterday he said he wanted to get up and bear his testimony. He didn't get the chance but it was still very humbling to realize how much he's grown in just a short amount of time.

Jim brought his girlfriend to church! New Female investigator! So exciting Gwen seems really sweet and like a kind soul. She was so delighted by the fact that I could speak Chinese and we look forward to meeting with her soon.

Alex has been devouring the Book of Mormon and loves it. He started off really shaky and wasn't even sure why he was meeting with us. But since really reading the BoM he has grown leaps and bounds.

I could keep going but for now I'll just bear a brief testimony about why I'm here. These people are so important in the work of salvation. Even if none of them get baptized I know that the lessons we've been able to teach changed them in some way or another. That's one of the great things about the Holy ghost is that it does change people it makes us better. If all I do on my mission is bring the Holy Ghost to other's attention I will have done well because the Holy Ghost testifies of truth specifically The Truth. That God lives that His Son is Jesus Christ who is our Savior and Redeemer. If we really keep the God head as our focus in life we will be successful.

Sister Liao and I went on exchanges again this week. That meant that on Friday I was teaching in Chinese by my self... or not by myself with great help from the Holy Ghost. Sister Mamarova and I made it though the day and we were able to make it though. I do have a great testimony in the gift of tongues and I know that I have been so blessed with being able to work as well as I have and I will continue to strive for it.

This week was hard for me emotionally and finally near the end of it I was able to feel a lot of comfort. God is watching out for us and it can be hard sometimes to feel positive when everything goes wrong but sister Liao taught me a great lesson this week about smiling and laughing in the face of adversity. I really have received so much help and blessings and I know that I will continue to receive that help.

We had zone council this week and as usual that was great. The big news from it is that language missionaries might start being called to 'zebra work' which means I might be teaching both English and Mandarin speakers instead of just Mandarin. Which is an interesting thought because I've been so focused on learning in Chinese that I've actually found my teaching in English has gotten better. It sounds a bit weird but I really have become a better teacher since coming out. I will forever be grateful that I have been able to.

I thank you all for your prayers. For your strength and your well wishes. I know that God does live and that He does answers prayers.

We will be strengthened as we live one day at a time.

Lots of love,

Sister Skinner

No comments:

Post a Comment