Toronto

Toronto
Toronto, Canada

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Walking on Broken Glass



Hello Everyone!

This week was one of the more interesting ones I've had so far on the mission. We did find new people this week though so that was fantastic! Mississauga is one of the hardest area's to find Chinese people because they're so intermixed with the other Asians! I've talked to quiet a few Filipino, Korean, and Japanese people with the odd person who speaks Cantonese thrown in the mix. There was one day where I only talked to one person who spoke Mandarin and they couldn't understand me because they don't comprehend white people speaking their language. (I've been called that white person so many times by people who don't think that I understand them, it's crazy! I'm actually okay with all of it but I do think it's kind of funny)

So Yes, there were miracles this week. People showing up from referrals and new people to talk to on the street. We had an ESL meeting this week and president Clayton is going to be completely overhauling the program and replacing what we have with something else a bit shorter. It's been fun practicing this more hand's on approach to teaching English but it's been such a blessing too. 

We had some really good food this week too! I'm very fond of hot pot by now as we had a member take us out to it again! Dinner appointment left overs are also fabulous.

We worked a lot in YSA this week which was really nice. I love YSA and their enthusiasm and spirit it's definitely a place to learn and grow!

Yesterday was a holiday so no P-Day but that just meant we got to go to some really cool lessons. All of which ended with FHE that night at a members home. Sister Low had a baby recently and seeing that little one in her arms as we all talked about the atonement and Christ's resurrection really pulled why he did it into perspective. He loves us so perfectly... and I will forever be grateful for that. 

So I should probably explain that title a bit. This week we had a day of freezing rain! We got out of the house the next morning to find everything covered in a centimeter of ice. The cars, the trees, the ground, everything was completely covered. The trees crackled and swayed making it sound like the storm continued on as they tried to break their icy prison. Sorry that was only half poetic but that's pretty accurate. We marveled for a minute and then we set to work clearing off our car so we could head out and continue in our efforts. It took a while because we wanted to be thorough and make sure that there wasn't any ice that would come off while we were driving and hit someone else's car. This was a common occurrence to see on the high way that day it looked like car windows would come right off and go flying just to shatter on the ground. (It was actually super cool as long as it wasn't about to hit someone) It also meant that when walking it was like constantly walking on breaking glass. It seemed rather poetic as that day we were trying to break the glass box that's been holding us in. We've been stretching and pulling and grunting and groaning and all this time we failed to realize that there were things we needed to do inside the glass before we would be ready for what is on the outside. 

So this week we broke free. 

It was like waking up at the right moment or the light turning on in a room. Everything you expected was right in front of you and logically you know it's there but you can't reach it until you flip the switch, open your eyes, and break the glass. We found new people to teach we were able to help in the lessons we taught the spirit was felt and understood. I wish I could describe more of what I'm feeling but I don't know how to put this into words. All I know is that even when walking on unsteady ground broken and slippery all at once there was a loving Heavenly Father right there with His arm's outstretched. And a perfect savior Jesus Christ, with the joyous news that death has loosed, mercy reigns, peace is a reality and you can do this.

I do know that He is Risen! He is my Lord and my King and we would be so lost without His atoning sacrifice. May we praise Him forever and ever. 

Hallelujah!

-Sister Skinner
 







 

All of us plus some dollarama Chicks given to us randomly.
I think the expressions convey who liked them and who didn't...






 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Sister Skinner it looks really cold where you are but you seem to change it into something positive which helps me and others I am sure , to look at things on the bright side. I love the braid in your hair, that looks so elegant and the food looks like something you can get at Panda Express, I love their food.
    Take care and happy investigator hunting :)

    ReplyDelete